Tuesday, March 17 update on COVID-19 by Thomas Boutin, CEO of Discover France
First of all I want to thank you for the positive replies that you sent us this weekend! We are grateful for your kind words and appreciate how supportive you have been.
This second update comes already as official measures in France and other countries have shifted into the next step of containing the spread of the virus.
In this update:
1. What are the current travel restrictions that impact travel to and from France?
2. What are the implications for Discover France travelers?
The primary objective is to keep you informed of how official guidance impacts our travelers.
Update Tuesday, March 17, 2020
Current Travel Restrictions to and from France
- The French Government as of today is limiting movement of people in France for two weeks. The European borders (Schengen area) are closed for entry for 30 days.
- The US State Department travel advisory is on level 3 out of 4 regarding travel abroad:
- Exercise normal precautions
- Exercise increased caution
- Reconsider travel
- Do not travel
- Country specific advisory regarding travel in France is available on the US Embassy and Consulates in France website:
- US Citizens traveling back from Europe are routed through 13 designated airports, as outlined by Homeland Security: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/13/department-homeland-security-outlines-new-process-americans-returning-certain
- Canadian citizens are asked to avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice. More details:
- Australian citizens are encouraged to reconsider travel overseas.
As the situation frequently changes, we refer to the official government sources for the latest updates.
Implications for Discover France travelers
We have re-scheduled groups with a tour starting date before April 15.
It looks unlikely the situation will not return to normal by April 15.
We are therefore extending re-scheduling for all trips starting before April 30.
Our tour consultants will personally be in touch with the clients that are concerned.
Reminder: Special terms until the end of June 2020
- Groups that re-schedule more than 30 days before the start date, get a travel credit of the full amount paid without any change fees. (normally there is a 200 euro per person fee for changes after a tour is confirmed)
- Groups that re-schedule less than 30 days before the start date get a travel credit of the full amount paid minus hotel cancelation fees (if any).
The travel credit does not expire.
Our aim is to let you keep your options open and see how the situation evolves.
If you want to support us, the best way is to book trips for later this year, knowing we will be flexible as needed.
Thank you once again. We will send new updates as the situation evolves.
Discover France Adventures
For more information